Happy New Year to all.
We hope the new year finds you in good health and that you are having a great start to 2018.
A great opportunity for development training has been arranged by the LGA, and comes highly recommended.
LGA Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic Councillors Development Weekender Event
Saturday 10th February – Sunday 11th February 2018
This popular event provides a unique learning and networking opportunity for elected members from BAME backgrounds and those who are interested in exploring ideas for enhancing the recruitment and retention of BAME councillors.
By the end of the event, participants will have had an opportunity to:
- Reflect on their personal leadership style and its impact on others.
- Explore and practice key leadership skills such as influencing, networking and ‘creating impact’ in order to achieve their goals.
- Explore key changes taking place within public services and local authority environment and the implications for the personal leadership approach of elected members.
- Discuss whether there are any particular issues for consideration as a BAME elected members.
- Think about their ‘leadership careers’ (their ‘legacy’) and begin planning in a practical manner.
Some of the sessions will include:
- Personal Leadership: What is Leadership?
- Understanding Leadership Styles:
- “Successful political leadership – making a difference.”
- ‘Enhancing your leadership’
- Presentation skills
Quotes from 2017 attendees:
- What a great weekend this was! There are no words to describe the experience I had, but let me tell you, we are changing the face of politics! Being taken away from the “world” for a couple of days, made me forget about all the stress and distractions of life and remember why I joined the role of councillor
- Had a very interesting time at the LGA BAME workshops and training weekend with fellow councillors from across the country who all came with different levels of experiences. A very well organised LGA event with some excellent speakers
- Excellent development weekend for diverse councillors
- Learnt some real leadership styles. Met some lovely people with heaps of skills and experience from the BAME community. Thank you
- Thank you for giving me the opportunity to attend. It was a weekend very well spent.. Left the weekend with a sense of empowerment. Not only did I learn from the speakers but from the fellow members too. All were welcoming and friendly
The cost for attending this two-day residential event is only £150, which covers the cost of accommodation, meals, tuition and materials, plus an additional £50 for those of you who wish to join us for dinner and stay overnight at the venue on Friday 9th February 2018.
To take advantage of this development and networking opportunity, or for further information please contact Grace Collins by email firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel: 0207 664 3054. There are a limited number of places available for at this event so please get in touch via your member services as soon as possible if you are interested in booking a place.